Monday, December 8, 2014

Hazardous Materials Release on Bylund Ave.


Auburn Fire-Rescue Department at 4:28 P.M. on December 6, 2014 responded to 22 Bylund Ave. for a reported hazardous materials leak.  Upon further investigation the hazardous materials leak was mineral oil from an electrical transformer located on a utility pole outside the home of 22 Bylund Ave.

According to National Grid the transformer overheated causing the relief valve within the transformer to leak about 11 gallons of mineral oil onto the ground.  The mineral oil was carried to into Stoneville Reservoir by the rainy conditions.

Auburn Fire-Rescue Department deployed hazardous material booms in an 80 foot area via a fire-rescue boat to limit the flow of the material within the pond.  Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection and the Auburn Water District were notified of the situation.  A hazardous materials clean up crew responded to the incident.  Power was lost to the neighborhood for about two hours.  

Asst. Chief Glenn Johnson