Sunday, February 14, 2016

Plumbers Torch Causes Fire on Manor Rd.

A plumber’s torch thawing a frozen pipe caused a small fire at 34 Manor Rd. this afternoon. The fire was reported at 1:45 p.m.

The AFRD arrived to find the fire had been extinguished by the home owner with a kitchen fire extinguisher. Fire crews searched for hidden fire in the walls and ventilated and metered the home before the occupants returned.

All fire companies were back in the station at 2:30 p.m.

For additional information contact:

Chief Stephen M. Coleman Jr.

Friday, February 5, 2016

100 Gallon Gasoline Spill at BJ's Gas Station


Auburn Fire Rescue Department responded at 11:30 pm Thursday to 782 Washington Street, the BJ's Gas Station for a report of a 100 gallon gasoline fuel spill.

AFRD crews on scene found gasoline flowing out of the gas station onto Washington Street and Sibley Street.  The gasoline spill also flowed into two storm drains.  Fire crews contained the spill from flowing completely down Sibley Street.

The spill was caused by a gasoline tanker truck overfilling the gas stations's underground gasoline storage tanks.  The Auburn Water District, Mass DOT, and DEP were notified of the event.  An environmental cleanup company was called to the scene to clean up the HAZMAT.

Asst. Chief Glenn Johnson