Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Auburn Fire Chief advises, “get your burning done early”


Auburn Fire Chief Stephen M. Coleman Jr. encourages residents that are interested in burning brush this season to obtain a permit now and do it early. The official start of the states burning season began on January 15th and will end on May 1st. Even with the record setting amount of snowfall that fell in February and March the state will not likely extend the burning season beyond May 1st. 

“The Department of Environmental Protection who oversees the states open air burning laws will not extend the burning season because of excessive snowfall. My advice to the residents who want to burn is don’t wait, get your burning done early.” Chief Coleman said. 

A burning permit may be obtained at Fire Rescue Headquarters, 47 Auburn Street from 8a.m to 4p.m seven days per week. Rules and regulations will be explained at the time the permit is issued. The fee for the permit is $10.00 and is valid until May 1st. Burning permits are for residential use only and will not be issued to a business.

Any residents with questions regarding the open air burning season can visit the fire rescue department website at or contact the Auburn Fire Rescue Department at 508-832-7800.


Chief Stephen M. Coleman Jr.

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Fire Strikes Home on Rydberg Terrace in Auburn


Just before 2:30 this afternoon the Auburn Fire Rescue Department responded to a reported building fire at 27 Rydberg Terrace. The fire was reported to be on the back deck of the house. First arriving Engine companies reported a large volume of fire in the home on arrival.

According to Auburn Fire Rescue Chief Stephen M. Coleman Jr. the owner of the property was home at the time of the fire and suffered minor burns. He was treated at the scene and refused transport to the hospital. The fire is under investigation by the Auburn Fire Investigation Unit including the Auburn Police Department although it is not suspicious.

The fire went to 3 alarms and mutual aid was received on scene from Oxford and Millbury Fire Departments. Leicester and Worcester covered Auburn stations. One firefighter was transported to  St. Vincent Hospital by Ambulance for minor injuries. All companies were clear of the scene at 7:30 p.m.


Photo Courtesy of Auburn Police

Photo Courtesy of AFRD

Photo Courtesy of Kevin Holstrom

                                                      Photo Courtesy of Kevin Holstrom

Asst. Chief Glenn Johnson

Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Gas Grill and Deck Fire at 16 Sunrise Ave.


The Auburn Fire-Rescue Department was called to 16 Sunrise Avenue at 6:32 P.M. for a reported gas grill and deck on fire.  Crews arrived on scene to find a gas grill fully engulfed in flames.  Fire did extend to the deck and was partially extinguished by the Auburn Police Department prior to the arrival of the AFRD.  The home sustained minor heat damage to the exterior siding and the AFRD extinguished the fire keeping it from extending inside the home.  No injuries were reported.    

Please remember to clean your gas grill regularly and keep it away from the house when cooking.  

Pictures for media use.

Asst. Chief Glenn Johnson