At 1:09 AM the Auburn Fire Rescue Department received a call for a reported structure fire at 12 Jefferson Drive. Staff at the group home facility called 911 reporting they could see smoke and fire. First arriving companies found smoke and fire in the basement. The fire was quickly extinguished.
The Building Inspector, Wiring Inspector, National Grid, and the Fire Investigation Unit were called to the scene. The fire was contained to the basement and is still under investigation. At this time the cause to the fire does not appear to be suspicious.
Auburn Fire Rescue Chief Stephen M. Coleman Jr. said the fire went to 2 alarms and there were no injuries to civilians or firefighters. Chief Coleman also said "staff from the group home were alerted to the fire by the smoke detectors sounding. They quickly evacuated the five residents safely out of the home. Five residents have been displaced due to the fire."
Pictures for media use:
Asst. Chief Glenn Johnson