Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Gas Leak at 567 Southbridge Street, Heritage Mall

February 12, 2013

The fire department responded to a report of a gas leak this morning at 567 Southbridge St., the
Heritage Mall. The fire department arrived at the commercial building that houses multiple businesses
at 5:46 am and the presence of natural gas was very strong and could be smelled in the parking lot.

The gas leak was reported by staff from the Heritage Coffee shop when they were opening for
business. The fire department had to force entry into the Great Expressions Dental Center that is
located in the center of the Heritage Mall, which was getting readings of natural gas on a meter of
dangerous levels. Staff from the entire complex that was just arriving to work was evacuated from the

The gas leak was caused from large amounts of snow and ice that had been removed from the
roof yesterday and landed onto the distribution meter at the rear of the building and damaged it.
NSTAR officials were on scene and shut the gas off to the building until the meter can be repaired.

Contact:  Chief Stephen M. Coleman Jr.