Saturday, January 9, 2016

Heritage Plaza Evacuated Due to Carbon Monoxide


Auburn Fire Rescue Department responded at 10:19 am to 567 Southbridge Street, the Heritage Plaza for a carbon monoxide detector sounding.  The carbon monoxide detector was sounding in the business Great Expressions Dental Centers.  Business employees and patrons then dialed 911 alerting the AFRD of the situation.

AFRD crews on scene found high levels of carbon monoxide over 100 parts per million.  The rest of the plaza stores were evacuated and checked for carbon monoxide.  Approximately 150 employees and patrons of the various businesses were evacuated during the incident.    

The cause of the carbon monoxide was due to a problem with the heating system in the dental office.  The system was shutdown and will remain shutdown until the the landlord has it repaired.  All of the displaced employees and patrons were allowed back into the businesses.

No one reported any injuries or signs and symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.  Headache, fatigue, and nausea are some early signs of carbon monoxide poisoning.  Carbon monoxide is an odorless and tasteless gas, which may cause injury and death if not recognized or treated.

Please call the fire department if your carbon monoxide detectors sound, for your safety.

Asst. Chief Glenn Johnson